When you hear the phrase “student ministry leader,” what thoughts come to mind? Knowing the latest trends and jargon? Being able to eat 13 hot peppers in one sitting? Youth leaders are a vital but often misunderstood part of a church.
The truth is, without strong leadership, your student ministry will not be able to reach its fullest potential. Your students will not be discipled, and your church will be missing a major component in sharing the gospel.
Here are five qualities of a great student ministries leader:
1. Casting Vision - A strong leader will cast vision for the youth ministry and take the needed steps to execute that vision ... always keeping the vision of the church in mind.
2. Ministers to the Entire Family - A great youth leader has an impact on the ENTIRE family.
- They provide students and parents with the tools they need to disciple others in their sphere of influence.
- They help students discover, develop, and be responsible for their own faith - rather than adopting a faith walk from their family and leaders.
4. Creates Community and Security - Great student ministry leaders help create community and provide students a safe place to belong… space to process what's going on in their lives at school and home and helps put things into perspective. It provides an atmosphere where they feel supported and loved.
Of course, knowing the latest trends and jargon and possessing a unique skillset (like the ability to win at Scatterball) can be an added asset on the job! But the essentials are what will carry a youth leader far.
Chemistry Staffing is currently partnering with several churches to find GREAT student ministry leaders. If you think you might make an incredible addition to an amazing church family, please check out the current openings and start your profile by clicking the link below.
P.S. Is your church looking for a dynamic and gifted leader to serve your youth ministry? We’d love to walk alongside you in your search. Let's talk.